Monday, July 26, 2010

Lemon Blueberry Scones for a Sunny Morning

July has been a perfect month of sunshine and warm weather. I woke up this morning to another beautiful day, craving the sweet, tangy and refreshing flavors of lemon and blueberry.
Scones are quick, easy and delicious... so my decision was made.

Pamela's Products makes a great gluten free baking mix, which is what I used as the base of these scones. I followed the recipe for Pamela's Scones (check their website for tons of great recipes!) but I substituted goat's milk butter and almond milk in place of the cow's milk butter and milk.

I also added 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, and 1/2 cup dried blueberries. I know it's summer and there is an abundance of fresh blueberries available, but I prefer the chewy texture and more concentrated blueberry flavor of the dried fruits.

I love to eat freshly baked, still warm scones with a scoop of Greek yogurt. The contrasting warm scone and cool yogurt make me think of eating strawberry shortcake when I was little.

Perfect summer breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment